On July, 1992 the commemorative plaque on the building 29 Kauno St. was attached; it bears an inscription: “This is the building where patriots of Lithuania were tortured and killed”.
Around the same time, memorial plaques were set in memory of the victims of NKVD, NKGB and the Gestapo. The idea was initiated by the union of Lithuanian political prisoners (LPKTS MS). Authors of the plaque are sculptor Jonas Dulinskas and architect Valentinas Medelis . No memorial celebrations were held on the day event took place. Aldona Vilutienė, witness of the event, remembers that leader of the union Vytautas Raibis with few other members of the organization, put the plaques in their car and went to attach them on city’s buildings.
Neoclassical style house from bricks was built in 1938. It was a project of engineer Juozas Dragašius. In 1940 NKVD made it’s residence in the building. Later it became the office of Gestapo. NKVD and KGB regained its ownership of the house in 1944. The prison chambers have not been destroyed and still remain in the basement.
Inscription on the heritage object
- Address29 Kauno St., Marijampolė
- Date1992 -
- Statuslocal meanings, object of historical heritage
- Not staying
Persons related to the object
Related documents and other publications
Literature and resources
1. Vilutienė, Aldona. Laiko dulkes nužėrus… : Tauro apygardos partizanų ir tremties muziejaus kūrimo ir veiklos istorija, 1993-2007 m. / Aldona Vilutienė. - Marijampolė : Piko valanda, 2013. - 160 p. : iliustr., portr.