Neoclassical style house from bricks was built in 1938. It was a project of engineer Juozas Dragašius. In 1940 NKVD had made residence in this building, later it became office of the Gestapo.
NKVD and KGB regained its ownership of the house in 1944. Prison chambers have not been destroyed and still remain in the basement.
On July, 1992 a commemorative plaque on the building on 29 Kauno St. was attached; it bears an inscription: “This is the building where patriots of Lithuania were tortured and killed”. Around the same time, memorial plaques were set in memory of the victims of NKVD, NKGB and the Gestapo. The idea was initiated by the union of Lithuanian political prisoners (LPKTS MS). Authors of the plaque are sculptor Jonas Dulinskas and architect Valentinas Medelis . No memorial celebrations were held on the day event took place. Aldona Vilutienė, witness of the event, remembers that leader of the union Vytautas Raibis with few other members of the organization put the plaques in their car and went to attach them on city’s buildings.