The oldest park of town was most favourite place of leisure of Marijampolė citizens in the time of pre-war.
Vytautas park dates the late 19th century. After the fire in 1869, it was planned to install a huge park on the southern edge of the city, which was set up in a wet marshy area over which Javonis River flowed.
According to the newspaper “Lietuvos Žinios” from 1930, the area had been a marsh where people used to throw dead livestock and trash.1875-1980 the park of Marijampolė was created, geometrically planned and correctly planted in the style of classicism.
In the third decade of the 20th century the park was arranged and fenced. In 1935 sculptor Petras Rimša designed and built a bridge over the Javonis River. In 1980, in order to build a monument for V. Mickevičius-Kapsukas (author Julius Narušis) the bridge was demolished, the stream of Javonis was hidden in underground pipes. in 1990 the monument was demolished, but Javonis River remained underground.
After a full reconstruction of the park in 2012, the rivulet was raised to the surface and a new bridge was built.
There are Vytautas the Great and Tauras district partisans remembrance monuments and torture chapels. In 2010, a monument to Vytautas the Great, sculpted by Julius Narušis, was unveiled. In 2012 years were finished works of park reconstruction by which time were cut out trifling trees, fitted paths, lighting, funfair for children, a fountain and other things.