On November, 2002 a memorial plaque on the building of Marijampolė Drama Theatre was attached to commemorate 60th anniversary of the professional theatre; it bears an inscription “The beginning of Marijampolė professional drama theatre, 1942/ directors S. Čaikauskas, R. Juknevičius, K. Tumkevičius worked here”. Authors of the plaque were sculptors Jonas Dulinskas and Julius Narušis.
On September, 1941 a founding assembly of Marijampolė Drama Theatre was held. The main goal of the attendees was to establish professional theatre’s status. The time was not prosperous: the war broke out, invaders changing one after another, and the future was obscure. However, the owners and all the guests of that night were full of enthusiasm: the new theatre born- the forerunner of a different life bringing the hope of brighter tomorrow to all people. On September 12, 1942 the theatre was reorganized and named Marijampole City Drama Theatre by the order of mayor Vlaclovas Nenortas and theatre director Jonas Pileckis. After the first-night play "Disturbed calm" directed by P. Vaičiūnas, people were not only performing and rehearsing new plays, but also studying drama arts in the workshop. Specialists from other theatres were invited to assist in the workshops. The theatre was re-established to a public theatre in 1945 autumn. Unfortunately, the movement of the theatre was suddenly stopped in 1949. Theatre of Marijampolė was closed. Professional theatre of Marijampolė was reopened and closed few times from 1949 until 1992.
Inscription on the heritage object
- AddressMarijampolė Drama Theatre, 2, P. Armino St, Marijampolė
- Authors/Creatorssculptor Julius Narušis
- Date2017 -
- Statusunregistered, cultural heritage site
- Not staying
Persons related to the object
Related documents and other publications
Literature and resources
1. Marijampolės dramos teatras, 1992-2012: leidinys skirtas Marijampolės dramos teatro 20-ies metų sukakčiai paminėti / [sudarytojas Romualdas Kučiauskas]. - Marijampolė : Piko valanda, 2012. -  p.
2. Viliūnas, Vytautas. Teatras Marijampolėje : istorinė apybraiža / Vytautas Viliūnas ; Marijampolės teatro draugija "Gabija", Marijampolės kolegija. Edukologijos ir socialinio darbo fakultetas. Lituanistikos ir religijos mokslų katedra. - Marijampolė [i.e. Kaunas] : Marijampolės teatro d-ja "Gabija ", 2002. – 263 p.
3. Teatro kelias sujungia visus : [apie Marijampolės teatro jubiliejaus minėjimą, kurio metu buvo atidengta S. Čaikausko memorialinė lenta ant Municipalinio dramos teatro fasado] / Nijolė Treinytė // Suvalkietis. – 2002, lapkričio 19, Nr. 136, p. 1, 5.