The building also known as the house of doctor Vladas Bagdonas (26 Vytauto St.) was built in 1931 (or 1932) and designed by the architect Juozas Dragašius.
The layout is elongated rectangular form with a two-story basement and a small attic, it’s volume composition is symmetrical and rational. Central plan is dominated by two symmetrically laid down stairwells. The symmetry is emphasized by the central entrance with laconic forms portal above it. A hip roof has slopes on all four sides, it‘s construction is wooden and coating is made from steel sheets.
At first, apartments for doctors were arranged in the house of Vladas Bagdonas. In 1934 (according to telephone directory) it was an office of the notary Antanas Orinta. The obstetricians R. Šurienė, Juzė Bagdonienė lived at the building according to the records. The following years café „Gražina“owned by P. Guzikas and M. Kairausko Women’s health clinic were opened, doctor L.Landau worked and lived in the building as well.
In 1940 the house was nationalized, the Soviet secret police (NKGB) turned premises into headquarters. During the WWII the place was turned into German commandant’s headquarters. In 1944 the house was occupied by NKGB once again.
On what had happened in the house during 1944 to 1953, Aldona Vilutienė wrote in her book “Laiko dulkes nužėrus...“:”On the second floor, where were cabinets and interrogation rooms of one of the executioners of Rainiai, which after the war were in use of Marijampolė’s NKGB chief P. Raslanas and operational group’s lieutenant-colonel N. Dušanskas. Chambers and cellars were packed full of people... cells were low, dark, some without windows, and others with small latticed windows that were covered by wooden troughs from the outside, so the light could not came in; ground was submerged in sewage that came from the courtyard’s faecal pit. It was reaching people’s heels in the summer; during the spring and autumn, when it was raining, sewage level could reach knees. Beds were made from plane boards. Only wounded prisoners, who had survived interrogations, were allowed to lie down. Because of the low ceilings arrestees could not stand up straight in the room. Without a hope to leave this hell alive, martyrs marked fifty-five bricks on the walls, in hope that one day the world would find about their suffering.”
The victims were disposed under the building’s windows, on the coasts of Javonis Rivulet. The territory between the house of V. Bagdonas, the Curia of Vilkaviškis and the Public Library were turned into a graveyard. On October, 1999 archaeological excavations began at the location, remains of six people were found in an area of just nine square meters. The excavation has been stopped since.
From the year 1953 the building was in use of the Board of Agriculture, afterwards it became an employment office. In 1992 the house was returned to the rightful owner G. Ylekiene, who sold it to A. Grybauskas. On July, 1992 a commemorative plaque on the house of V. Bagdonas was attached; it bears an inscription: “Lithuanian people were tortured and interrogated in this building 1944-1953”. 2001 – 2007 the building was reconstructed, inward space renewed, attic rebuilt, roof structure redesigned and renewed. In 2014 the building was heat insulated.
The Chapel of Suffering (Lithuanian: Kančių koplytėlė) and monument to commemorate the partisans of Tauras were built alongside the house of Vladas Bagdonas.
Inscription on the heritage object
- Address26 Vytauto St., Marijampolė
- Authors/Creatorsarchitect Juozas Dragašius
- Date1932 -
- Statusstate protected, cultural heritage site
- Not staying
Persons related to the object
Related documents and other publications
Literature and resources
1. Kultūros paveldo objekto būklės patvirtinimo aktas : [Pastatas, Vytauto g.26, Marijampolė] : 2012-10-09, sprendimas Nr. - / Marijampolės savivaldybės administracijos Architektūros ir aplinkotvarkos departamento Teritorijų planavimo skyrius. – [Žiūrėta 2016-03-22]. - Prieiga per internetą : < http://www.marijampole.lt/go.php/Kulturos-paveldas3802296>
2. Vilutienė, Aldona. Laiko dulkes nužėrus… : Tauro apygardos partizanų ir tremties muziejaus kūrimo ir veiklos istorija, 1993-2007 m. / Aldona Vilutienė. - Marijampolė : Piko valanda, 2013. - 160 p. : iliustr., portr.