The history of the old hospital building began between the XVIII - XIX centuries during the period of Prussian administration in Marijampolė.
The government took initiative to built masonry building in former Liudvinavo Street (currently, P. Armino St.). Most buildings in town were built from wood at the time. Germans administration, which preferred masonry structures over wooden, could not find suitable place for a hospital, therefore it was decided to build a new building for that purpose alone. The first town’s hospital had one floor, 30 beds for patients, and occupied two thirds of the current building’s premises. In 1894 the northern part was attached; it served as doctor’s apartments.
The building went over many reconstructions over the years that resulted in changing the original Prussian structure; according to the hospital’s plans of 1869, building included a semi-closed courtyard. Patients’ numbers increased rapidly over the years: in 1921 there were registered 440 patients, in 1922 – 563, in 1923 – 599, in 1924 – 649. In 1925 the hospital could contain and hospitalize 60 patients at the same time.
A well-preserved central part of the building remains until these days: southwest corner which somewhat reminds of St. Petersburg’s architectural tradition, and two side extensions equal in length, which are connected by a triangular gable.