St. Vincent de Paul Church is located near Vytautas Street, the main facade facing the street. Church is with one tower, one nave and hall.
Building is built in bricks style, walls are of red and yellow bricks, facades are not plastered. In the facades can be found neo-romantic architecture incidental forms and order sculpture elements, also elements of bricks décor. There dominating two slots of tower, belfry is finished with high spire. The corners of the facade marks the blades with potholes, in the portal dominate arches. Transept is completed by turret with a dome. Walls are surrounded by a large arcature frieze. In the interior prevails higher transept space, separated by semicircular arches. The continuation of presbytery, chapels and naves are a bit lower than transept. The walls at the top are surrounded by profiled cornices. Floor are made from marble tiles, ceilings are hanging and made from wood. In front of altar there is a table of marble, church is decorated by 14 impressive stained-glass works.
The building represents type of a small military church. The primary purpose of the building was Marijampolė military St. Nicholas' Orthodox Church, was built in accordance with an exemplary military church project, which is approved by the Russian military command at the beginning of the 20th century. The first Marijampolė Orthodox Church building project in 1873 was prepared by the county architect Valerijus Rybarskis, but the idea to build a church in front of the current Evangelical-Lutheran Church remained unfulfilled. Later, after a long search for a plot Orthodox Church, there was long negotiations with in the central square (now J. Basanavičiaus sq.) located shops "Ilgakromis" owners, who asked overcompensation. They even appealed to the Cabinet of Ministers for permission to alienate long shops. Finally, shrewd Jew offered to 111th Infantry Regimental part of the farm commander, colonel, lieutenant Zaruckis to buy for the church this plot for 500 roubles. Zaruckis as chairman of the commission have received 50 roubles graft and started to coax other members of the commission to buy plot cheaply and refuse alienation. For the first time, in the city plans (in this place) church, which dedicated to Tsar Alexander III, was recorded in 1884.
The majority of sources maintain that church was started to build in 1888. The main works are completed in 1896. Church sanctified in 1901, and the interior set in 1904 but historian Benjaminas Mašalaitis, who studied history of the church in its publications present other facts. The construction of the sanctuary idea was revived by Marijampolė III-rd Infantry Regiment commander Aleksiejus Besonovas. Church exclusively was built by military. Work was supervised by captain Ivanas Michailovskis. In October 1900 were laid foundations, and already in 13/08/1901 church was sanctified and got St. Nicholas' title. "The new neo-byzantine one tower church with five transept highlighting domes became a bright southern part of the city dominant that perfectly matches with the surrounding buildings."
In 1918 church was taken over by the Ministry of National Defence of the Republic of Lithuania. Adaptation of Catholic needs from church was taken care by marians. The church was sanctified in 1920, it has been granted as St. Vincent de Paul's title. Since 1924 the church functions as Vytenis IX Infantry Regimental crew sanctuary. In the same year are set two side altars. In 1928 Ministry of National Defence has allowed Vilkaviškis Diocese Curia to rent for free St. Vincent de Paul's Church and land-plot for 36 years. On Sundays holy Mass were held for soldiers, on the other days to the city society. For the first time in 1931 during Christmas Eve rung bronze bell, which weight was almost a hundred and fifty kilograms, and was made in Germany. In 1935 the church was being repaired for several months: works was supervised by A. Penčyla, the pulpit and benches were made by A. Karalius, church was decorated by the artist Zofija Šukutytė. In autumn of 1936 churchyards was enclosed by fence and installed a ferroconcrete - wooden gates; gates project author and performer was the teacher Vytautas Karalius. In 1940 was founded St. Vincent de Paul parish for which attributed the southern part of the city and several villages in the southeast of Marijampolė. In 1944 returned the Soviets completely closed the church (did not let for congregation to visit). Aldona Vilutienė who was partisan signaller testifies that in 1945-1946 in church bell-tower were being operated and nursed the injured. In 29/11/1949 the church have been transferred to the museum of local lore, but for more than 15 years here have been poorly maintained warehouse, in which were pouring grain, stacking goods, even arrestees were temporarily imprisoned. Finally, in 1961 decided to set up an archive. In 1966-1969 started the reconstruction of the building and a former church was moulded into a three-storey building. In 1989 the church was returned to the Catholics. Then the building was reconstructed (by architect Valentinas Medelis). On the side of the presbytery is built the sacristy, removed four towers with bulbous tops, left only one transept tower, under the presbytery is brick cellar, roofs are covered with copper-plate, there was broke down floor and inside the church ceilings have risen up to twelve meters. Consecration and celebration of the church took place before the completion of the reconstruction works on 29/04/1990. St. Vincent Paul's Church was the first church sanctified in Independent State of Lithuania
In 1998 the church was decorated with stained glass by artist Liudas Pocius from Vilnius and craftsman Valdis Listopadskis from Druskininkai, installed valve system organ which were made in Marijampolė organ workshop. Churchyard planted with decorative conifers, there stands a few benches. The environment is decorated by Julius Narušis sculpture "Pieta" (2000) and Algimantas Sakalauskas carvings made from oak: memorial cross "Jesus Christ - the sovereign of the Universe" and "St. Virgin Mary - the Queen of Peace" (2003) and bildstock "St. Vincentas Paulietis and Blessed archbishop Jurgis Matulaitis" (2004). To the south of the church is built the mortuary chapel and parish house. In 2010 churchyard, close to the "Pieta" is buried the sponsor of church restoration, incumbent Vincas Jonas Bartuška. The parish owns about 13000 congregations.